FOOD WASTE

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  YEDA 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

YEDA
    Participant

Good Afternoon ,

I would like to introduce myself as we are a start-up company and would like to explain about the pilot project I would like to propose on University and I.T.S campus .
    The project is being targeted at minimising unnecessary packaging and waste, together with implementing a sustainable policy that all disposables used on campus grounds and in the vicinity are compostable and eco- friendly . Bearing in mind that our University as well as ITS does produce large quantities of organic waste (on and off Campus), this will be a good pilot project to not only test on campus but also generate educational value within the community . Also I would like to point out , University and ITS are strategically positioned in densely populated areas where there are various hotels and other catering outlets that do also generate a lot of food / organic waste . What I am proposing is looking into ways in which we could treat food waste on site and use waste as a resource. Food waste in landfill generates methane , a climate change gas that is 20 times more damaging than CO2. It is also a haven for bacteria, and vermin . I would like to start this project of finding an alternative onsite to effectively treat food waste, reduce its volume with a target of 65 % and turn it into a useable product- compost. This will be going back to agricultural land

The solution : a Rocket! This is not a way to send our waste to the moon but having an ‘in-vessel composter’
    which can be located in the loading bay on campus grounds. Having a Rocket composter means that both University and I.T.S will be able to turn food and garden waste from the grounds into compost within fourteen days.
    The Rocket’s careful design means that it is possible to compost a relatively large amount of waste despite its compact size. The aim is to compost between 600 litres up to 1,400 litres of organic waste per week. Using the Rocket it is also possible to compost meat and fish alongside other food waste.

How does the Rocket work?
    The Rocket is a continual process system, designed to be fed with waste as frequently as possible – ideally daily.
    University grounds and I.T.S are in the prefect place to have this composter. Food and organic waste is placed into the hopper on the top of the machine with an equal quantity of “woody” material. Wood chip is ideal as it is high in Carbon and has the appropriate structure to help the process. The process from then on is automated. As the blades of the internal shaft turn they aerate the material, moving it along the body of the machine providing extra loading space at the input end of the machine and pushing finished material from the exit of the machine. The material is in the Rocket for around 14 days in total.
    The Rocket forms a controlled environment in which harmless composting microbes thrive. The addition of fresh waste into the warm, moist and well ventilated environment of the Rocket, enables the microbes to multiply, eat and grow. This process generates temperatures up to 90oC. This heat is contained through high density insulation and keeps the environment warm and the microbes working.

Our objective is to introduce and promote community composting and encouraging as well as teaching families, neighbourhood , students and teachers and work colleagues to participate in this composting activity on a regular basis , This is a very effective measure to divert organic waste going to incinerators or landfills. If composted, unavoidable food waste (e.g. banana peelings, egg shells1 , etc.) and green waste (grass, leaves, and small branches) is recirculated in a closed loop system close to the place where the waste is generated ,the results will be savings on CO 2 emissions and prevent resources from being wasted. We do aim to be active in composting by having workshops and training that will educate the target audience about the usage and benefit of composting. In addition to this it can also include the launch of community composting and the promotion of starting home composting.

Objectives :
    Training sessions and open workshops are an absolute necessity . By transitioning into better, greener designs — sustainable production methods, easy assembly— most of the procurement can happen on the front end. Suppliers can also be offered incentives for sustainable production or less packaging. “Robust” terms and conditions should be outlined clearly to ensure goals are being reached, and businesses shouldn’t be allowed to get away with not reaching targets.

Would a project like this be of interest to you in collaborating ?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.